061 - Leveraging the Cloud for Research Education Networks
Major research universities face a dilemma: they have tons of data that needs to be stored, and are creating more data all the time. Simultaneously, they have notoriously tight budgets that are often set in concrete. What do do?
The solution may lie in public cloud storage, which can provide predictable costs and protected, yet easily-accessible, data. Beware, though, because the big dogs of the public cloud come with strings attached.
In this episode, Marty Falaro, Wasabi SVP for Global Sales & Alliances, chats with ActualTech Media’s James Green about the special needs and pressures faced by research scientists at universities and elsewhere, and how Wasabi can meet those needs and ease those pressures.
Show highlights include:
- How military and scientific research helped birth the Internet
- How Internet 2.0 differs from 1.0, and what it means for research scenarios
- The coming revolution of 5G
- The problems scientific researchers face with fixed budgets and massive data storage needs
- The hidden fees and variable costs of the major public cloud providers, and how they can quickly break a budget
- Why a hybrid storage model makes sense for many public universities
- Top education use cases for unlimited hot cloud storage
- Wasabi and Academic Genomic Research – https://s3.wasabisys.com/wsbi-media/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Academic-Genomic-Reseach-Wasabi-Packet.pdf
- Scientific Research and Wasabi – https://wasabi.com/scientific-research/
- Wasabi – https://wasabi.com/
- Free Trial – https://wasabi.com/sign-up/
- Wasabi Case Studies – https://wasabi.com/resources/?case-study#